Manual Handling in Construction
Manual Handling in construction has been made a lot easier with the introduction of many lifting devices that greatly cut down on the amount of manual handling, but there will always be situations that require you to lift quite heavy and often, awkward objects.
Manual handling should be taken very seriously, because failure to do so can result in quite severe injury, just following a few steps will greatly reduce the risk. Just know your limits!!!!
Think before doing!
- Use manual handling equipment when this is available and make sure you use it correctly.
- When lifting objects, bend your knees and keep your back straight.
- Make sure you have a stable base to stand on when lifting objects.
- Carry objects close to your body.
- Lift heavy objects or awkwardly shaped objects with two or more people.
There are many sites that offer very detailed advice and you should do some research.